Ascend Performing Arts, the parent organization of the Blue Knights, distributes scholarships based on financial need to its members of the Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps (DCI), the Blue Knights Percussion Ensemble (WGI), or the Blue Knights Winds (WGI).
Scholarship Application Deadlines
To be eligible for consideration, application must be submitted by the date below. Ascend must also receive your letters of recommendation before the deadline.
- Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps: March 31, 2022, 11:59 PM
- Blue Knights Percussion Ensemble: Friday, December 17th, 2021, 11:59 PM
- Blue Knights Winds: TBD
What You Need Ready To Complete Your Application
- Have the income as reported by your supporting parents on last year’s taxes.
- Towards the end, a question will ask you to paste the text for a one page single spaced Personal Info essay (details below). Have this ready before you start the form.
- Another question towards the end of this form will ask you to paste the text for a half page single spaced Scholarship Need essay (details below). Have this ready before you start the form.
- The final question on the last page of this form is the names, phones, and email addresses for 3 people you have asked to submit Letters of Reference on your behalf. This list is for the Scholarship Committee’s use. Prior to submitting your references, please make sure you have contacted and received permission from your references & approval that they will write a reference letter for you and email it to us.
Personal Info Essay Details
Your essay gives individuals rating your application a look into who you are so please be mindful of your spelling and grammar. Present your thoughts to the committee using good readable paragraph structure. Please include:
- Tell the committee about yourself, your family, and what you want to do in the future.
- If this is your first time marching, what do you want from the DCI/WGI experience?
- If you have previously marched, what were the benefits of your DCI/WGI experience.
- How has COVID-19 affected you personally?
Limit to one page, single spaced. This is about 500 words. You will paste this text into a question on this form.
Scholarship Need Essay
This essay is important for the raters to determine your financial need. Why are you applying for scholarship aid? Please be as specific as possible detailing what efforts you have made to raise funds for this activity, including parental support, employment or search for sponsors, and what challenges you still face in spite of those efforts.
Limit to one half page, single spaced. This is about 250 words. You will paste this text into a question on this form.
Three Letters of Reference
You will need to list the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three people who have trained or have worked with you. Contacts listed may be from your high school or college band directors, instructors, employers, or from extracurricular activities. This includes Blue Knights staff.
Prior to submitting your references, please make sure you have contacted and received permission from your references & approval that they will write a reference letter for you and email it to us. Letters should be emailed to: Development@ascendperformingarts.org by the deadline for your ensemble.
The following parameters have been established regarding financial scholarships:
- You must have been accepted into the ensemble(s) for which application is made.
- The scholarship is good only for the current season.
- You may apply each year you are a contracted member for each program.
- Scholarships are announced in January for the percussion ensemble, TBD for winds, and May 31, 2021 for the drum corps.
- You will receive a letter indicating the scholarship amount received.
- Funds will be transferred to your account once you have met the requirements stated in the acceptance letter.
- Selections will be made by a committee whose decisions will be final.
- If you quit or are cut before the end of the season, your scholarship will be rescinded and the award amount will be returned to the scholarship fund.
Any questions regarding Ascend Scholarships should be directed to Development@ascendperformingarts.org.